Interested in Becoming a WMI Scholar?
Our Ideal Candidate – A student, male or female, from a country in the developing world who:
- Successfully completed a secondary education, with good to excellent grades
- Will be studying in his or her country or another country in the developing world
- Plans to live and work in his or her own country after graduation
- Has volunteered prior to applying for this scholarship and/or is willing to volunteer while receiving the WMI scholarship
- May have some other funds available for his or her education, but will not be able to go to school without a scholarship
The scholarship awards are determined by the board of directors of the Wells Mountain Initiative and awarded once a year. Applications must be received by April 1 of each year to be considered for the following academic year. The selected WMI Scholarship recipients will be emailed on August 1. Their names will also be published on our website homepage and the WMI Facebook page. Those who do not receive a scholarship will also be notified after August.
Tips for Becoming a Competitive Applicant
The following are suggestions to enhance your application:
- Become a member of a community service group and record all of your service activities (dates, activities, time spent, photographs, etc.)
- Collect your secondary school transcript, national exam results and grading keys to interpret your results
- Request two letters of recommendation on official stationery from two people who know you professionally/personally and can showcase the reasons you deserve this scholarship
- Have all of your documents translated into English
- December 1, 2018 – The 2019 WMI Scholars Program application will be available on our website. Completed 2019 applications will start to be accepted on this date.
- April 1, 2019 – The 2019 WMI Scholars Program application deadline.
WMI Scholars Program 2019
Applications from qualified applicants will be accepted until April 1, 2019. Before applying, we strongly encourage you to read the WMI Scholar Program Information Sheet and also the Frequently Asked Questions for Prospective Scholars document. These two documents will assist you in determining your eligibility and guide you in the application process.
The following are required elements for an application to be considered complete:
- Clear personal photo
- Two essays (topics are stated on application form)
- 2019 application form
- Personal essay statement
- Two recommendation letters*
- Official transcript of grades from secondary school
- Official grading key to interpret secondary school grades**
- Official transcript of grades from tertiary studies (if applicable)
- Official grading key to interpret tertiary grades**
- Official results from your national exam
- Official grading key to interpret scores on your national exam**
*Recommendation letters vary throughout cultures. We have created Guidelines for Effective Application-Recommendation Letters to assist applicants in seeking letters that will be supportive of their application. Read this document and share it with the individuals who will be writing your letters of support.
**Official grading keys must be provided by the school issuing the grades or the government issuing the national exam. Grading keys that are not official will result in your application being disqualified. Contact your secondary school, university, or government for this document.
How to Apply
If you qualify, now is the time to apply for this exciting opportunity! Since 2005, we have supported more than 345 students worldwide. Please note that in our recent years, we have only been able to select approximately 5% of applicants to become a part of this program. The number we select is based solely upon limited funding, as nearly all applicants are extremely deserving. As our organization grows, so will the number of WMI Scholars we can accept each year. We encourage you to apply AND to continue searching for additional ways to finance your education.
There are two ways to apply: Online, or by mailing in a completed application packet to our office.
APPLYING ONLINE: You will be redirected to a portal where you will be asked to create a free account (username and password), fill out information and upload documents. We strongly suggest that you apply online as it will provide you with the opportunity to save your work and return multiple times. You will also guarantee that your application, once submitted online, will be received and reviewed.
File format types accpeted are: JPG, PNG, GIF, DOC, DOCX, PDF (version 10 or newer).
WARNING: Documents saved as a PDF file in Adobe versions 9 and older, will appear blank and your application will be considered incomplete.
MAIL-IN: You will need to print the 2019 application form and it is your responsibility to clearly complete it and attach all required supporting documents before sending it to us. Applications must be received by April 1, 2019 in our office. Applications that arrive after April 1, 2019 will not be reviewed. This means that you must allow at least three weeks to mail your application to us from abroad. Only send one completed application. Incomplete or additional mailings with supporting documents will be discarded. We highly encourage applicants to apply online to ensure the delivery of their completed application. DO NOT email us completed applications with multiple attachments; we do not accept applications sent via email.
We wish everyone luck in preparing their applications. We encourage all applicants to remember that acceptance in the WMI Scholarship Program requires a dedicated interest in community service, improving your nation, and working within your country after graduation.
Questions can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Attention Scholarship Applicants!
No matter what you may be told there are NO FEES required to submit a scholarship application to the Wells Mountain Initiative! You only need to submit a complete application through our website, by our one deadline each year of April 1. If someone contacts you saying a fee is required, please forward that email to email@example.com. We would very much like to prosecute this fraud.