Global Advisory Board
The Global Advisory Board was formed in 2019 and is your opportunity as a WMI Scholar to actively impact and influence the future of the Scholar Journey experience and new WMI programs.
New board members will be appointed each year, with each scholar serving a 2-year term. The next application period began on February 3, 2023.
Board member responsibilities and work will be completed remotely and on video conference calls. We look forward to meeting in-person with board members when the global health pandemic and travel restrictions allow. If you are interested in helping WMI grow and to serve fellow scholars, keep reading to see if you qualify and the steps to apply!
Board Member Responsibilities
WMI Global Advisory Board Members are invested in the scholar experience and exemplify the values of community leadership, partnership, and honesty. Board members have the responsibility to serve as the collective voice of WMI Scholars and will provide direction and recommendations on a wide variety of issues to the Wells Mountain Initiative organization. Does this sound like you? If so, keep reading to learn about the responsibilities members will have.
Board members will:
- Act as ambassadors of the WMI Scholars Program
- Primary focus: Work with fellow board members to implement one new scholar-led project per year
- Secondary focus: Work with staff to ensure the implementation and continued growth of scholar-led programs (GAB webinar series, Educate Your Own, mentorship program)
- On-going engagement: Serve on a Global Advisory Board subcommittee (Policy and document review, Educate Your Own, Scholar Review Board, GAB Webinar Series).
- Annually: Assist in reviewing scholarship applications and participate in regional finalist interviews
- Brainstorm and share new opportunities that could be beneficial for all scholars
- Honor confidentiality
Required Time Investment
Before applying for this opportunity be sure that you will be able to commit to this global leadership position. Be honest with yourself, evaluate your current responsibilities and those that may develop in the next few months and two year period.
A Global Advisory Board Member will be responsible to invest their time in this position in the following ways:
- Must be able to commit to a two-year term as a board member and prioritize monthly meetings which will be scheduled in advance
- Diligently serve in rotating board leadership roles
- Attend all monthly meetings hosted on Zoom (1-2 hours per month)
- Be prompt to review meeting notes and add contributions to the shared document
- Independently prepare for upcoming calls and complete assigned tasks
Qualifications of a Global Advisory Board Member
To apply for this position, you must meet the following criteria:
- Be a WMI Student Scholar in good standing: Has consistently completed 100 hours of documented community service and has submitted grades or letters of good standing on time.
- Only Student Scholars who will complete their studies within the next two years are eligible to apply.
- Be a WMI Graduate Scholar in good standings: Completed tertiary degree studies and has submitted the most recent Graduate Scholar Annual Survey.
- Must be able to commit to a two-year term as a board member and prioritize meetings which will be scheduled in advance.
- Must currently live in their country/region and intend to live in their country/region for the full-term of their board appointment (next two years).
- Priority in the selection process will be given to create a leadership board which is representative of the WMI Scholar body (gender, region, educational background, scholar status, etc.).
The following dates will guide the application process;
- February 3-19: – Application period.
- Sunday, February 19: – Deadline to apply.
- Friday, March 3: – Shortlisted candidates receive email to schedule final interview.
- Tuesday, March 7 – Tuesday, March 14: – Final interviews hosted.
- Friday, March 17: – Offer emails sent to selected new GAB members.
- Friday, March 24: – Deadline to accept the position.
- April 1: – Public announcement of selected new GAB members.